[frgeek-michiana] CSSAAM Meeting, June 4, 2003

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:18:43 -0500

CSSAAM Meeting, June 4, 2003

:: The Lundgren Plan

FGM is very likely to receive about 28 tons of computers, monitors and
peripheral materials from the LaPorte County Solid Waste Management
District in October. The LaPorte SWMD will transport the material to our
storage barn in Bremen.

Chuck Lundgren, CSSAAM board member, wants to initiate a program to turn
Michigan City into a high tech midwestern city. Chuck is on the LaPorte
County Solid Waste Management District (LPCSWMD) board and the Michigan
City common council. Chuck likes the FGM program. He likes FGM's social
conscience. He wants CSSAAM to lead the initiative with FGM's help.

John, Chuck and I are meeting with the director of the LPCSWMD as early as
next week to hash out details for receiving and accounting for the materials.

:: CSSAAM Web Site Proposal

John wrote a proposal to train six African-American students in web
development. The students in turn would develop, publish and maintain the
CSSAAM web site. The CSSAAM board was enthusiastic about the proposal and
referred it to the executive committee for discussion and approval.
Hopefully they will recommend acceptance.

John wrote a second, more modest proposal, in case the first (ambitious)
proposal was rejected. John and I were concerned that the first proposal
did not have sufficient support from key board members. Chuck is the head
of the CSSAAM computer/tech committee, and he introduced our proposal and
endorsed it. Other board members offered constructive suggestions to
improve the proposal. Our concerns were not founded.

The chairman reported that the CSSAAM executive director visited Michigan
City to assess the work of the local commission. The official said the
Michigan City commission is the best in Indiana. He particularly liked the
computer/technology programs, one of which is the FGM lab that John built
and maintains at MLKC.

When the CSSAAM web project is successfully completed, Lundgren wants to
present it to the other CSSAAMs in Indiana. There are 6-7 commissions in
the state.

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>