[frgeek-michiana] Backing up the Colo server

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:54:07 -0500

Ok, my daughter had homework from school tonight so while she got that done I too did some homework,

I got the Colo backup server put together tonight. While it won't fully backup the 400g array to 80g, the 80g array is sufficient until we need to upgrade.

I'm doing this the good ol' fashioned way...

rsync -avz freegeekmichiana.org:/ /colo_backup/

This requires two things:
1) rsync on both sides
2) root access

I'll need to setup a port forward to handle it but that won't be too much trouble. Once that is done I can do unattended backups via a cron job.

We just need to decide on how often????

Goose

/ Thursday is back to a maybe. I need to source an adapter for the hard drive replacement. If I have to have the part shipped in I won't be doing the replacement as planned and will make Free Geek.