[frgeek-michiana] Re: Apache2 + Rivet

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:34:15 -0400

My experience on Slackware 12.1 was different.

INSTALLING RIVET

Following Goose's subversion instructions got me rivet version 0.8.0 files
in /usr/local/rivet. Then I used these steps to install rivet.

1. aclocal

2. autoreconf

3. ./configure --with-apache-version=2 \
   --with-tcl=/usr/lib \
   --with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs

4. make

5. checkinstall --fstrans=no

6. installpkg rivet-0.8.0-i386-1.tgz

Comments:

Steps 1 and 2 issue warnings, but they can be ignored. I suspect these steps
do what genconf.sh accomplishes in Goose's protocol.

checkinstall (#5) creates a Slackware .tgz file to install with any of the
Slackware package management tools. Checkinstall also makes .rpm and .deb
packages. Installpkg (#6) is the default utility built into Slackware.
Later, if I want to remove a package, I can use any of the Slack package
management tools for that too. Removepkg is the default.

CONFIGURING APACHE 2

This turns out easy in Slackware. You can probably eliminate steps 2 and 3
below and do fine. If you never use index.rvt, you can eliminate step 5 as
well.

1. Add "LoadModule rivet_module lib/httpd/modules/mod_rivet.so" to the end
of the dynamic shared object (DSO) support list.

2. Make sure your DocumentRoot is set properly. Mine is: DocumentRoot
"/var/www/htdocs".

3. Make sure the controls for <Directory "/var/www/htdocs"> are set
correctly. The defaults work for me.

4. Add handlers for .rvt and .tcl files to <IfModule mime_module>.

    AddType application/x-httpd-rivet .rvt
    AddType application/x-rivet-tcl .tcl

5. Add index.rvt and index.tcl to <IfModule dir_module>.

    DirectoryIndex index.html index.rvt index.tcl

6. Restart apache with either of the following.

    apachectl restart
    /etc/rc.d/rc.httpd restart

That's it. Unless you want to use .tcl CGI files, you're done.