Re: of probable interest: 2,000,000 Florida residents support campaign to refuse their MDs' illegible prescriptions

  • From: Bruce Grembowski <grembowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:43:16 -0700 (PDT)

Kate,
When we moved from California to Washington state, the doctors at Kaiser were
very sad to see my wife go.  She worked there as a medical transcriptionist,
and she was the only one who could read some of the doctors' exam notes!

TTFN,
Grem

--- Kate Gladstone <handwritingrepair@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't care what makes a prescription legible (good handwriting or
> electronics), as long as it works.
>       However, hospitals that "computerized everything" 3 or 5 or 10
> years ago still call for my services - because:
>
> /1/ even in a "100% computerized" hospital, about 1% - 5% of stuff
> still ends up handwritten: e.g., a doctor scribbles a Post-It note and
> slaps it on the wall of the nurses' station, or a doctor in an
> elevator scribbles on the cuff of his/her scrubs something that (say)
> the Chief of Surgery says to that doctor when the Chief gets on the
> elevator
>
> /2/ many a doctor, given a computer, will (sometimes or always) have
> his/her ward clerk use it - typing things in from the doctor's
> illegibly scribbled notes, thus perpetuating errors for a lifetime.
> And, yes, I have seen doctors print illegibly, too! - about half the
> doctors whom hospitals send to my classes actually *print* their
> writing but do not do this legibly enough for decipherment by either a
> human or an electronic eye.
>

>   Yours for better letters, Kate Gladstone -

in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.