RE: Auction Payments...or, PayPal vs. Money Order/Cashiers Check

  • From: "Troy DeLung" <pendude2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 07:14:55 -0400

I prefer to pay with PayPal and sometimes do bid a little higher as I know
it is just easier.  The 2 post offices in the area always have long lines
and the credit union charges $2 for a cashiers check after the first one in
a month.  It also provides me a chance at recovering my funds in the case of
a bad deal (so far I have had 2 this year and I have gotten my money back
via PayPal both times).  Paying with PayPal is simple and easy and allows me
to pay the seller quickly.

As a seller I also prefer PayPal.  It provides my customers and easy way to
pay and allows me to track payments and shipping data. I have been using
PayPal for a few years now and I find my customers prefer it as well.  I
sometimes even give a discount on items (such as free shipping) if they pay
via PayPal due to the hassle it saves me of going to the bank and standing
in line to make a deposit (or sitting in the drive thru burning valuable
gas).  Or going to WU and standing for cash.  I have never asked a customer
to pay the fee as I just take this into account as a part of doing business
in today's world.  I have had a bit of small store retail and understand it
is no different from a merchant having to pay the vendor that provides their
credit card machine and service for each transaction (which for a small
place can run 3 - 4 % one each charge).

I buy for my collection and also to restore and sell.  This is a hobby
PayPal is an easy way of interacting in this day and age that provides
benefits to both the purchaser and the seller.

Just my opinion.

Thanks, Troy.

Troy DeLung
Vintage Fountain Pen Repair and Sales