Re: Auction Payments...or, PayPal vs. Money Order/Cashiers Check

  • From: Chuck Warman <cpwcpa@xxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 22:01:02 -0500

In answer to the original questions:

As a buyer, I rarely bid if the seller doesn't take PayPal. But like Elaine, I consider the seller's insistence on my absorbing the PayPal fee to be nitpicking.

As a seller, which happens all too rarely, I don't know about the relative profitability of the various payment methods, but I wouldn't even consider not accepting PayPal.

PayPal is almost as cool an invention as eBay itself.

Chuck

Eric J. Niksch writes:

Hello all. Last month I won an auction on eBay at a seemingly small cost for
a very nice pen. A pen that should have commanded at least twice or three
times what I paid for it. The seller only wanted a MO or cashier's check as
opposed to taking a PayPal payment. This got me to wondering about payment
options and how much an auction can go for.

The questions are: If you are bidding and prefer to pay with PayPal, are
you willing to bid a higher amount since you won't have to go thru the
hassle of getting a MO or cashier's check? And/or, if you are selling on
eBay, does a seller lose additional or potential revenue if they do not
accept PayPal payments (either cash or credit card)?

Best regards,

Eric

in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per instructions
to complete the process.