[fpateachers] Virus Hoax

  • From: "David Sandquist" <davidsandquist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fpateachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:57:42 -0700

Hi folks,

Just a word of warning.  There is an email virus HOAX in circulation and I just received it.  The email has a subect line of the email reads:

Re: Undetected virus found in my mail

 The rest of the message goes like this:

I was sent a virus which is not detected by Mcaffe or Norton.  the virus sits in your computer for 14 days then starts to work sending to all the people in your address book. Please delete this virus.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:

DO THIS:

1.    Go to start, Find or Search option.
2.    In the files/folder option, write the name   jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive
4.    Click "find now"
5.    The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name  jdbgmgr.exe
DO NOT OPEN IT
6. Right click and delete it.  It will then go to the Recycle Bin
7.    Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.  SORRY ABOUT THIS.
I'M
SURE EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK WILL HAVE IT.

Kathryn

In response to this email I thought I would pass on this message to give you the "heads up".  The file jdbgmgr.exe is NOT a virus.  This is a HOAX.  Do NOT delete the file as it is a standard windows program.  Here is a HOAX alert from Mcafee regarding the proported jdbgmgr.exe "virus":

AVERT HOAX Notice!!

McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.

This email message is just a HOAX. Although, the JDBGMGR.EXE file may become infected by a number of valid viruses (most commonly W32/Magistr@MM), the details of this HOAX message are not based on actual events.

We are advising users who receive the email to delete the message and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

JDBGMGR.EXE is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java.

It uses this icon:

I hope you all know never to just delete a file from your windows\system folder as these files are important to the operation of your computer (although you could proabably live without jdbgmgr.exe).  You should always check these virus warnings at a site like Mcafee or Norton, which usually have lists of email hoaxes and valid viruses.  In the event that this is not possible, consult your computer vendor or resident IT guy and ask them if they are familiar with the virus or at least the file in question.  That said, in the event that some of you have fallen victim and actually deleted the file, here are some instructions for trying to restore it.

In the event that JDBGMGR.EXE was deleted erroneously, the following method may be used to restore the file from backup:

-- Windows 98 Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type SFC and hit ENTER
2) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER
3) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files
(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS)
(ie. D:\WIN98 where D is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM)
4) Click OK and continue with the restore function

-- End Windows 98 Instructions --

-- Windows ME Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type MSCONFIG and hit ENTER
2) Click the Extract Files button
3) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER
4) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files
(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL)
5) Click OK and continue with the restore function

That is all,

David