[foxboro] /var partition size

  • From: brad.s.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:20:55 -0500

The recent thread on /opt partition size prompted me to write about our
/var partition.
We had a problem with the wtmp* and utmp* files growing out of control and
filling the /var partition. Our solution (although I'm not happy with it)
was to schedule a script that nulled those files on a weekly basis.  The
problem is that part of my system security audit is to check logins, which
are recorded in wtmp*.  I believe the cause of the numerous logins causing
wtmp* to grow is our PI system.  I seem to get alot of PI-related messages
in my messages files, but I've not been able to find the exact reason (or
solution) to it.  Part of the problem is my lack of understanding about how
the PI-Foxboro interface really works.  If anyone familiar with the PI
interface can explain how the collection groups, buffers, polling, etc
work, I would appreciate it.  So far I haven't been called on the carpet
for having "empty" wtmp* files, but it's just a matter of time.

Brad Wilson
ExxonMobil Chemical Co
Edison Synthetics Plant
732-321-6115