Re: [foxboro] dual-headed Linux box as operator workstation

  • From: "Daren Bishop" <dbisho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:33:44 -0600

     Duc,

     We are using Linux (RedHat 7) Machines doing X draw for operator
     stations with excellent results.

     As for the dual head approach..that hasn't been resolved using RedHat
     7. It seems RedHat 7 really doesn't support that...Yet...  We are
     looking at Solaris for Intel as a possible solution to this.

     Feel free to contact me for more info.

     Daren Bishop
     Systems Engineer
     Ameripol Synpol Corp
     (409) 721-1510
     dbisho@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [foxboro] dual-headed Linux box as operator workstation
Author:  <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> at INTERNET-MAIL
Date:    11/19/01 11:02 AM

Hi list,

We are thinking of setting up some PC-based operator workstations. The most
common solution being a Windows box running any of the many X-emulators. The
sticking point is the dual-headed solution -- we ran into some displaying
issues with eXceed using the Matrox G400 DualHead video card driving two
CRTs.

Another option we are pondering is using a Linux box instead of Windows,
again with the dual-output Matrox video card. Has anyone tried something
like this that can give us some hints? I'd like to hear of your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Duc

--
Duc M. Do