Re: [foxboro] Win Server Updates

  • From: "Johnson, David" <David.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:56:07 -0600

Mike,

I take it you are suggesting a redundant CSA.  That's a good idea.  And
redundant host AWs so we can configure a CP when a host AW fails. That's a good
idea too.  I didn't know these were offered as a redundant solution from
Foxboro.  Are they?

I think there have always been critical computer components in the I/A
architecture, and the Sun boxes proved to be capable of running with long
uptimes between reboots.  I think the windows boxes require a bit more
maintenance, and I know they require a lot more maintenance reboots.  They also
require the process control guys to have a maintenance strategy for deploying
patches and virus updates. Due to various plant network architectures, it's
hard to get a one size fits all solution.

While your points are valid about needing to patch, and needing to keep
anti-virus up to date, it's added a set of problems for the guys running these
systems, and they were pretty busy before moving to windows.  In open source
there is a saying, "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow".  I offer my
corollary, "all bugs are deep, when there aren't enough eyeballs".  Maybe a lot
of folks out there are whistling past the graveyard, but they haven't been
given the time or resources to solve these problems, and until something bad
happens, it's going to be difficult for them to get backing from management.

Maybe the controls folks need to get their IT dept. involved in the patching
arena.  In some companies that probably works well.  In others, not so much.
So without an officially blessed patch and update schedule from Invensys, most
will take the path of least resistance and plead ignorance if there is a
problem.

Regards,
David