Re: [foxboro] [UCE] Re: FW: More future direction questions.

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:58:30 -0500

I'm also inferring from this that an ATS cannot connect directly to a V7
switch, but only to a 1x8 backplane.  I would think that direct-connect
capability to both a V7 switch and a mesh network (i.e., 4 fiber ports)
would be desirable for hybrid systems as illustrated in Tom's message.  Is
it that difficult technically?  Or would you do this instead:

                AW (V7 upgraded to V8)

V6.x A         ----
__|____ATS____|Mesh|____ATS___________
|   |         |Net |          |    |
CP  CP        |    |         CP    CP
              |    |
              |    |-- AW/WP V8
              |    |-- CP270
              |    |-- CP270
               ----

When before you got your new V8 stuff, you might have had

                AW (V7)

V6.x A         |------|
__|____NCNI____|Switch|____NCNI___________
|   |          |------|          |    |
CP  CP                          CP    CP

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

<tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
10/12/2005 12:12 PM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  foxboro
              cc:
         Subject:       [UCE] Re: [foxboro] FW: More future direction questions.

Alex,
I am interested to know if your example below is correct or if
you just forgot to remove the ATS on the NCNI segment that is above the
segment where the other ATS is connected to the MESH.  If the ATS in
question is needed could you explain what function it serves?  Thanks
for any clarification you can offer.

"Depending on your traffic levels this next configuration is actually
better,
but requires more 1x8s"

V7.x AW

RCNI
V6.x A            |                       =20
CP  CP            |I|      CP      CP      =20
|T|                            _____
|C|____NCNI____________ATS____|Mesh |-- AW/WP
|H|                           |Ntwk |-- CP
|     |-- CP