Re: [foxboro] The best of the Jungle!

  • From: "Stear, Bo" <stear@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:45:42 -0500

The way hardware and software goes through such rapid development, one =
can only try and keep up wherever possible.  We now have 23 nodes on =
our system and have decided to move all of the software to version 6.3 =
for all of our AW/AP's and WP's and the v2k_01 software version for all =
of our controllers.  So far, this release shows good stability and =
should serve us for at least the next five years.  Moving to this =
release will eliminate your having to keep up with what software is on =
what controller and which quick fixes need to be applied.

Cost is a major factor in standardizing the rest of the hardware as far =
as workstations and other Sun products.  We have a pretty good mixture =
of workstation hardware with 51B and 51D and 51E boxes.  The =
'advantage' program allows an opportunity to get everything at the same =
level but this advantage disappears each time Invensys/Foxboro follows =
Sun into another box.  All one can do is weigh the cost of training, =
spare parts, and maintenance on older hardware against the cost to =
upgrade.  When these costs equal or surpass the 'latest and greatest', =
look to the horizon to see if something new is coming out before you =
jump onto the 'advantage' bandwagon.  For example, right now might not =
be a good time to start upgrading since Solaris 8 is on the verge of =
being our new operating system for unix and that includes a NEW =
workstation processor type.