Re: [foxboro] Solaris: rexec on second-Ethernet

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:15:23 -0500

I tried "rexec otheraw 'ls /' " here.  According to snoop, it doesn't even
send out any IP traffic (nor does it give any output from the ls).  I
would therefore have to second Alex's recommendation to use rsh instead,
or other roll-yer-own alternatives like ssh.  rexec lives in /usr/local,
so I guess it is some sort of Foxboro utility and not the standard one
from Unix.ls /sbin/r*

IP traffic will flow over the second ethernet if you use an IP address on
the second ethernet as a target.  We define an additional set of
hostnames, like 01aw23a, 02aw13a for AWs 01AW23 and 02AW13, respectively.
These hostnames map to IP addresses on a different network from the
nodebus, e.g., 172.16.1.23, 172.16.1.13, either in every machine's
/etc/hosts or in DNS.

We can then do "rsh 01aw23a" from 02AW13 and it will go over the second
ethernet rather than the nodebus.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Hegewisch, Dirk" <Dirk.Hegewisch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/30/2007 07:13 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro] Solaris: rexec on second-Ethernet

Hi list.

In some scripts we are using rexec on our AWs.

Unfortunately does the Foxboro rexec only use the Nodebus (first Ethernet
connection)

Another Problem is that the Foxboro rexec requires an X-Client (Port 6000)
to work with "normal" Speed ...
A simple "rexec AWLBUG /bin/ls" took nearly one Minute (If you don't
believe - try it)

Now we are looking for a solution to use rexec on the second-Ethernet.

VSM21U# which rexec
/usr/local/rexec
VSM21U# what /usr/local/rexec
/usr/local/rexec:
dsserver.c      7.2 Foxboro Company 8/15/90
sf_server.c     1.1 50 Series I/A, Foxboro Company 9/24/91
dsamap.c        2.1 vc
iserve.c        7.2 I/A , Foxboro Co. 8/15/90

How can we use the original Solaris rexec?  Any Ideas?

Regards
Dirk Hegewisch