Re: [foxboro] Seagate ST38410A hard drive -- Summary

  • From: "Neil Martin" <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:12:38 -0600

Can someone explain what has been going on with this hard drive problem -
did someone find a way to use an IDE hard drive that is not recognized by
the I/A install?  Here is what I know from past experience.  Can someone
fill in the blanks?

1.  To install a store bought SCSI drive in a Sun Sparc station like a 51B
all we had to do was buy a hard drive that is compatible with Sun Stations
and was as big or bigger than the drives that the Foxboro IA install
recognized - cylinders, sectors, etc. did not seem to matter.  We then set
the correct SCSI address and then booted off of the CD and ran the "format"
command picking the typical option of either SUN 2.1 GB or SUN 4.xx GB
drive.  The format command the handled setting the correct cylinders,
sectors, etc.; and it changed the name of the drive to one of the above
names that the IA install software would then recognize.

2.  To install a store bought IDE drive for the 51D's we had to purchase a
drive that had one of the very same drive names as what the IA install
software looks for.  The "format" command did not work on the IDE drive,
and there was no apparent way to change the name of the hard drive to
something like ST38420A which is recognized by the IA install software.  I
forget exactly, but we may have been able to format the heads, cylinders,
etc., but we could not change the name.

3.  The IA install software looks for specific compatible drive names like
SUN 2.1 or ST38420A and will the then preform some type of format of the
drive accordingly when it finds it.  I am not sure if it does any other
checks.  After the formatting is complete, the IA install then loads the
software on to the hard drive.

Neil Martin
Huntsman Corporation
7114 North Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX.  78752
ph) 512-483-0119

                    Darryl Bond

                    <dbond@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:     foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    au>                       cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: [foxboro]
Seagate ST38410A hard drive -- Summary
                    foxboro-bounce@fre

                    elists.org

                    01/31/02 12:55 AM

                    Please respond to

                    foxboro

I have also seen the bad magic number message from format.
It was from using a non-Sun supplied disk and therefore not partitioned
using the Sun scheme.

Just start format and ignore the message, select the disk and use the
label option.
Exit from format and restart. You should then get back in without the
error message and see that the Sun style partition table has been
installed.

You need to use Frits' method to use the disk then though as it will not
have a geometry that the Foxboro scripts will understand.

Regards
Darryl Bond

duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Thank you to all who responded. All of your suggestions gave me a variety
of
>options to chose from, and that's what I've been doing all morning. Here
are
>the summary of the suggestions and what I found out.
>
>From a Foxboro person in the Systems Integration Lab:
>
> >boot from CDROM (I'm assuming you're already doing that)
> >tar in the K0175SN diskette contents (version E and later support the
> >Seagate ST38410A hard drive)
> >run this command :  form_disk ESP0 SCSI0 <machine type> where <machine
>type>
> >is AW51, AP51, or WP51
>
>This doesn't work. format still says that the drive has a bad magic
number.

>From Ron Deen:
>
> >From my SCSI experience I remember this after installing a drive from
> >"stock" that did not have any partition table at all.
> >Did you try to do a format?
>
>Now we're getting somewhere. Ron's reference to the partition table gets
me
>down the road a bit further than where I was.
>
>And Frits Schouten wrote, in a long, comprehensive note:
>
> >Define a partition table.
> >
> >Enter "part" at the "format>" prompt and a new prompt appears.
> >Part>
> >Select modify and use all free hog and default partition sizes. (all but
> >backup being 0)
> >Save this partition and quit from the partition definition.
>
>This provides the last bit of information I needed. Ron Deen was right in
>that there's no partition information on this virgin Seagate drive. I
>started 'format' (the one on the 6.2 CD-ROM works fine) and went to define
>the partition table like Frits suggested. I selected "Use all free hog"
and
>accepted all the default partition information, saved the partition table.
>At this point, I quit out of 'format' and ran 'ia_install' in the /tmp
>directory, which was put there by the Preinstall diskette (K0175SN-F).
>Bingo! The drive is properly formatted and everything is hunky-dory. Now I
>just have to do the same thing to the other 13 hard drives.
>
>Thanks everybody. I'll try to roll this into the Cassandra FAQ somehow.
It's