Re: [foxboro] Seagate ST38410A hard drive -- Summary

  • From: duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:18:45 -0500

Thank you to all who responded. All of your suggestions gave me a variety of
options to chose from, and that's what I've been doing all morning. Here are
the summary of the suggestions and what I found out.

From a Foxboro person in the Systems Integration Lab:

 >boot from CDROM (I'm assuming you're already doing that)
 >tar in the K0175SN diskette contents (version E and later support the
 >Seagate ST38410A hard drive)
 >run this command :  form_disk ESP0 SCSI0 <machine type> where <machine
type>
 >is AW51, AP51, or WP51

This doesn't work. format still says that the drive has a bad magic number.

From Ron Deen:

 >From my SCSI experience I remember this after installing a drive from
 >"stock" that did not have any partition table at all.
 >Did you try to do a format?

Now we're getting somewhere. Ron's reference to the partition table gets me
down the road a bit further than where I was.

And Frits Schouten wrote, in a long, comprehensive note:

 >Define a partition table.
 >
 >Enter "part" at the "format>" prompt and a new prompt appears.
 >Part>
 >Select modify and use all free hog and default partition sizes. (all but
 >backup being 0)
 >Save this partition and quit from the partition definition.

This provides the last bit of information I needed. Ron Deen was right in
that there's no partition information on this virgin Seagate drive. I
started 'format' (the one on the 6.2 CD-ROM works fine) and went to define
the partition table like Frits suggested. I selected "Use all free hog" and
accepted all the default partition information, saved the partition table.
At this point, I quit out of 'format' and ran 'ia_install' in the /tmp
directory, which was put there by the Preinstall diskette (K0175SN-F).
Bingo! The drive is properly formatted and everything is hunky-dory. Now I
just have to do the same thing to the other 13 hard drives.

Thanks everybody. I'll try to roll this into the Cassandra FAQ somehow. It's
great to have this kind of resource at our disposal.

Duc

--
Duc M. Do
Dow Corning Corp.