Re: [foxboro] RE : RE : Hard-coding the block inhibit parameters

  • From: "Armour, Alan" <aarmour@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:18:48 +1000

Joseph,
         I believe that foxdocs for any block with alarm function has the =
information on which bit is which to use for alarm masking using INHALM. =
Rather than say "RTFM", (read the flaming manual)here it is from a copy =
given to me by an Foxboro employee, Bill Lynn (I think now retired)>
BIT#    USAGE
1       BLNALM point1, TRIP
2       BLNALM point2
3       BLNALM point3
4       BLNALM point4, OOR (out of range)
5       BLNALM point5, OPER (operational error)
6       BLNALM point6, STA (state)
7       BLNALM point7, HHA (high high Absolute), TARG, (target)
8       BLNALM point8, LLA (low low Absolute), PTRG (pretarget)
9       ROC (rate of change)
10      BAD (bad I/O)
11      HDA (high deviation)
12      LDA (low deviation)
13      HOA (high output)
14      LOA (low output)
15      HMA (high measurement)
16      LMA (low measurement)

In this list bit 16 is the least significant bit, so to inhibit HMA and =
LMA INHALM needs to be 0X0003.Note that some bits mean different thins =
to different blocks!A common trick I use is to set INHALM to -1 integer =
via logic for alarm suppression, then logically set it back to 0 to =
remove the suppression. this still allows the operators to use INHIB if =
they need to inhibit the alarm.=09

Terry,

Interesting...  We definitely could toggle both parameters from the =
Select display for any value =3D3D 0, but not if value =3D3D 1.  What =
exact values did you enter?  Maybe I am confused with the format as you =
wrote TRUE/FALSE in your initial response and I used 1/0 (or Hex for =
INHALM)? The block book indicates "boolean con/set 0 to 1" for INHIB and =
"pack-b con/set 0 to FFFFFFFF (Hex?)" for INHALM.  What is the correct =
value/format for each parameter? =3D20

I don't seem to have the same success with TAC that many of you folks =
seem to have so I will have to wait until this becomes a more urgent =
issue...

My thanks to Terry and everyone for their feedback.

Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"To give real service you must add something that cannot be bought or =
measured with money; and that is sincerity and integrity." - Donald A. =
Adams

De: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx de la part de Doucet, Terrence
Date: mar. 2007-06-26 14:54
=3DC0: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [foxboro] RE : Hard-coding the block inhibit parameters

Joseph,

I understand your concerns now.  At some sites, a "start of shift" =3D3D =
report of Inhibited Alarms is printed and Operators are instructed to =
=3D =3D3D verify that each inhibited alarm is actually supposed to be =
inhibited =3D =3D3D and not merely left in the inhibited state by error =
(or ommission). The =3D3D shift log must state that the work (Inhibit =
check) was performed and =3D =3D3D Operators are held accountable for =
this.

I hve no explanation on why one can write to a connected parameter. My =
=3D =3D3D understanding is the same as your's.

Terry