Re: [foxboro] PIDE & PIDA

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:13:16 -0400

One of our controls experts offered this follow-up off-list:
1. - What is the principle of tuning in the Foxboro PIDE & PIDA - is it load
change or setpoint change or what?

In both cases the tuning parameters are calculated to maximise load
rejection.  Furthermore the PIDA block features take the tuning one step
forward by allowing a second degree of freedom in the controller to be
adjusted to shape a non-overshooting response to a setpoint step change.

2. - What is the underlying difference between PIDA & PIDE in terms of auto
tuning methodology?

Upon measuring damping and overshoot error signal, and the period of
oscillation the PIDE uses heuristic rules to adjust the controller
parameters to give the specified damping and overshoot.

In the PIDA-FBTUNE retuning is based on restoring robustness margins and
performance. Expert rules are used when the control error is not oscillatory
or when oscillations are limit cycles or externally forced.

3. - Does Foxboro have model-based tuning techniques?

Yes, we do have model based tuning techniques available for the PID
controller modes tuning.

4. - How do we configure a simple auto-tuner using PIDE & FBTUNE?

The PIDE selftuning algorithm is enabled by the parameter STNREQ.

The FBTUNE block works in junction with the PIDA block thru the parameter
PIDBLK.

Additional comments:

Foxboro offers in depth training on these subjects.

In addition to the training, Foxboro is currently offering loop optimization
and loop performance monitoring services the customer may be interested in.

Invensys Systems, Inc.
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
713.329.8472 (voice)
713.329.1700 (fax)
713.329.1600 (switchboard)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our process engineer shoot the following questions to us early in the
morning today. I must admit, my knowledge on the the following topic is
quite sketchy. Appreciate if the list could shed some light and/or point me
to the literatures that can explain the following:

- What is the principle of tuning in the Foxboro PIDE & PIDA - is it load
change or setpoint change or what?
- What is the underlying difference between PIDA & PIDE in terms of auto
tuning methodology?
- Does Foxboro have model-based tuning techniques?
- How do we configure a simple auto-tuner using PIDE & FBTUNE?

And yes, she did read the Focdoc :)

Best regards,
Nurul Izzah