Re: [foxboro] Opalis and email

  • From: "Mark Dumond" <mdumond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:55:37 -0500

1. You do not need any mail program to send email from a Unix box, nor =
do
you need to setup sendmail....
you can merely script telnet with simple SMTP commands.

From a command prompt, and assuming your Unix box can communicate with =
the
mail server, type:

Telnet <mailserver> 25
HELO yourlocal.domain.name=20
MAIL FROM: mailfrom@xxxxxxxxxx
RCPT TO: mailto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DATA
Subject:-type subject here-
<ASCII DATA - Body of email>
.
QUIT

This should send out an email.  Real easy.

So, you can have a script build this SMTP command file with the DATA =
portion
stuffed with the appropriate alarm data, then pipe this SMTP commands =
file
to Telnet.

Here is the caveat, you an not simply redirect this command file to =
telnet,=20
i.e. telnet mail.server.com < commands.txt will not work.
You need to:
1. create a FIFO or named pipe,=20
2. telnet mail.server.com 25 < FIFOfile
3, Have another script or program echo the SMPT commands to the FIFO. =20
I don't have the exact script handy right now now but I can certainly =
dig up
if you need it.

2. As for alarm triggering, your best bet may be to look in to Foxboro's
Event-driven scripts which is part of the FoxPage package.  It will take
care of triggering Unix scripts based on I/A alarms.  It has many great
features like queuing, alarm filtering, and the ability to obtain =
individual
alarm parameters.

Hope this helps.
Mark Dumond