Re: [foxboro] Nodebus Bandwith / Connections

  • From: "Johnson, Alex (Foxboro)" <ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:17:21 -0400

Long story short: It is always more efficient to send fewer data items, but
it doesn't always matter

Long story:

The CP optimizes its OM access to other CPs. By that I mean that it will
create a list and add points to it until it thinks the list is long enough.
(The actual limit on an OM list 255 points, but I think the CP limits its
lists to 150.)

The CP also sends data between stations only when it changes by enough to be
interesting. For floating point numbers, you set the delta. Integers and
Booleans are sent on each change.

Each monitored variable (each name on the list) that reports a change uses 8
bytes (2 for index, 4 value, 2 status). The size of the value is the same
for all data types.

Finally, the OM sends a heart beat on the list every two seconds if no data
has been sent. This lets the other station know that the source is alive.

So, unless you have a truly large numbers of these connections, I doubt that
you will notice a difference with either implementation.

Which brings me back to:

It is always more efficient to send fewer data items, but it doesn't always
matter

Invensys
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77063