Re: [foxboro] Matrikon Process Doctor vs. Expertune Plant Triage

  • From: "Kennedy, Don (USBORAX)" <Don.Kennedy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:16:20 -0800

We have recently installed a trial of Process Doctor on about forty
loops.  We would expand this to about 300 if we decide to keep it.  We
are using Wonderware InSQL instead of PI, but the process is the same:
some time in the off hours a large amount of data is queried by Process
Doctor from InSQL and Process Doctor munches the data and generates
reports.  Accessing the data was relatively painless as all the months
of pain of installing and upgrading our process control network was
already done to get the InSQL online.  The InSQL gathers data from each
of three AW's through their second ethernet ports.  This is working well
for us.

Configuring Process Doctor takes a lot of time.  We dedicated one of us
and a Matrikon person for two weeks to set up the software in a new
server, configure the software, and input the configuration for each
loop. =20

Reviewing the daily reports is tedious due to the way the web page is
layed out.  Use the weekly reports to flag problem areas that can be
looked into with more detail using the daily reports rather than plowing
through daily reports.

We now have to decide whether to keep the software.  We haven't gotten a
lot of insight out of it so far.  We didn't find any problem loops with
Process Doctor that we didn't already know were a problem.  Process
Doctor doesn't help diagnose the problem or suggest tuning constants or
a configuration change.  It does identify how aggressively the loop is
tuned, and identifies valves with hysteresis.  Most loops with these
problems can live with these problems or they would have been fixed
already.

Don Kennedy