Re: [foxboro] How to

  • From: brad.s.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:16:36 -0400

This is a relevant topic, considering many sites are using X-windows
machines for operator stations.  Not knowing much about Win XP programming,
I've set up the admin account for me, and a user account for the operator.
I've tried with varying success (due to my lack of knowledge) to make the
various X-windows functions accessible as needed (ftp, rlogin, telnet,
etc).  I set the HMI to auto-launch to full-screen (I use Hummingbird
Exceed), but a clever user can easily get to the Start button and whatever
that entails.  Eliminating the disk and CD drives will prevent him loading
files, but then you must load the apps from a server (or removable drive).
I am also interested in seeing how other sites do this.

Brad Wilson
Process Control Engineer
ExxonMobil Chemical Co
Edison Synthetics Plant
732-321-6115
732-321-6177 fax
Brad.S.Wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

             "Baptiste,
             Nigel"
             <NBaptiste@pow                                             To
             ergen.co.tt>             <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             foxboro-bounce
             @freelists.org                                        Subject
                                      [foxboro] How to

             10/04/06 09:39
             AM

             Please respond
             foxboro@freeli
                sts.org

Hello list,

This is not directly an I/A question but some of you would have similar =
concerns and the solution as well.
I'm setting up a PC for use as an HMI PC for a PLC-based BMS.
The PC would be running either Win2k or WinXP (I haven't decided as =
yet).
I am concerned about protecting the computer from unauthorised use =
(operators have been running software on previous computer and over time =
HMI program and database got corrupted).
My question is how to make the pc bullet-proof such that it cannot be =
tampered with, no other programs can be run etc.
I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,
NB.