Re: [foxboro] Galaxy "ON MESH" or "OFF PLATFORM"

  • From: "Gonzalez, Alejandro" <Alejandro.Gonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:51:02 -0800

Similarly to Sheldon's system, our development system is an OFF MESH
system.  But the reason of selecting this method is different.  We
needed fifteen engineers working simultaneously in IEE doing
configuration and programming work.  The ON MESH GR can only support
five people.  We don't think there is much performance improvement
unless you open remote sessions to the GR.  Unfortunately, when we
tried, we got other problems up to the point to abandon the idea of
remote desktop.  Instead, we use 15 engineering workstations accessing
the GR database through IEE.  Our GR is using the multi core enabled to
support the 15 engineers.  We are currently at Infusion 2.0 non-secure.
Invensys told us to stay away from the secure version until 2.5. Our
network binding has the Archestra (2nd copper network) as primary bound.

As we speak, Invensys is setting up  our real plant system in Fox Mass,
it is supposedly be running 2.5 secure.  Due to redundancy requirements
in servers, the GR will use Marathon servers connected to the MESH, and
it still has to support 8 concurrent engineers working in IEE.  Invensys
had found several problems in this environment, and more than 15 CARs
have been written.  Most of the CARs have been targeted for version 3.0.
2.5 does require 8.6. Several QF have been developed and installed into
2.5.  IOM has needed to do some more fixes of the QF installed.  The
staged system will undergo a reliability test starting next year, as we
have had so many problems and we are not sure if they are related to the
network.  Because IOM has given very few tools to evaluate the network,
we have asked them to use their Cyber Security team.  The latter
typically helps you to make sure that your system is NERC compliant.
But in addition of that, I think they have better knowledge in
determining the real status of the network and its performance.  Based
on their recommendation, we will have Enterasys NetSight and Solar Winds
Orion for monitoring the network and Windows Perfmon tool installed on
the machines for CPU, memory, and disk performance monitoring.  These
tools should provide different baselines of the system at different
simulated process conditions (shutdown, startup, ramping up, normal,
abnormal conditions, trip conditions, and ramping down).

Regards,

Alejandro Gonzalez
Blue Grass Chemical Agent Pilot Plant
Parsons