Re: [foxboro] Foxboro] 3rd Party products on windows.

  • From: David Johnson <DRJohn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:14:56 -0500

Hi again,

It's so hard to express sarcasm without audible intonation.  But my point
was, we don't need a lot of bells and whistles.  We do need something that
is stable and dependable and will get the work done.  I don't want the
latest 3rd party applications for the gee whiz factor (although that's so
cool isn't it), I want them because the old NT versions don't work exactly
right (or the same) when installed on XP.  The vendors don't test the old
versions with XP, and Foxboro seems willing to continue to use them until
something major breaks.  You can't build a control system based on
exceptions, and workarounds.  Come on NT4.0 didn't even come with a disk
defragmentation tool.  After 3 or 4 years of display changes and historian
work, performance starts to really degrade.

Am I happy with Solaris 2.5.1? No, I'd like to get the security
improvements that come with Solaris 8, or 9 or 10 even.  Still, it's a
pretty stable OS.  I have added bash and perl which come native on the
newer versions of Solaris.  But I have a pretty high degree of confidence
that I can take a shell script, or perl program, or C program and port it
to a newer version of Solaris with a recompile and re-link most of the
time.  I don't even know if my existing programs will even run if I add a
service pack from Microsoft.

This transition is very hard for any company to do well. Foxboro is not
that different from all of the others.  But if IACC is supposed to make me
want to go with windows, I better be able to run my script files and have
good networking capabilities too. And Bo, it can't reboot much either!

Regards,
David

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted."
Groucho Marx