Re: [foxboro] FBM230 MODBUS RTU Mapping for Micro Motion Coriolis Transmitters

  • From: "Vandewater, Tom (HI Contractor)" <TVandewater.contractor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:56:34 +0000

Here is the final results for the problem I had with the FBM230 MODBUS RTU
Mapping for Micro Motion Coriolis Transmitter.

The RS-485 transmit and receive wires connected at the field transmitter were
crossed so the transmit of the Coriolis was connected to the transmit of the
FBM230 port.  The funny part of that was that both the XMT and RCV lights for
Channel 2 were flashing on the FBM230 and as long as I never requested data the
FBM230 interface showed no alarms/errors in System Manager.

Additionally I found out that the Coriolis interface is putting live values in
the Input registers, (30,000 series),  but also shoves null/zero values in the
holding registers, (40,000 series), so there is no communication error if you
try to read them.  Even though the Mass Flow Rate value is stored in 30247 and
30248, as per the Micro Motion manual, the Mass Flow rate can be correctly read
by just entering 30247 in the PNT_NO of the RIN block with no :F4:Wx suffix.
Does the RIN block read in two registers by default?  I think Pablo may have
discovered that.  At any rate, communication has been restored after an outage
of several years.

Regards,
Tom VandeWater
Control Conversions, Inc.