[foxboro] FBM230 MODBUS RTU Mapping for Micro Motion Coriolis Transmitters

  • From: "Vandewater, Tom (HI Contractor)" <TVandewater.contractor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:19:46 +0000

To All,
          I read with interest responses to Pablo's FBM230 Modbus interface
issues because I just inherited a failed attempt to interface a Micro Motion
Coriolis Transmitter via Modbus RTU protocol and am trying to sort out if it is
a problem with the FBM230 installation, the Modbus driver
configuration/installation, or the way I am requesting data from the interface.
  (I suspect the data request because the interface shows that the DCI is
"Ready" with no failure until I make my first/only data request from this
device).  I know this is Friday the 13th but am still hoping to resolve this
issue on this fateful day if possible.  All responses are appreciated.  Don't
hate me because it is early in the morning here in Hawaii and you may be
dealing with a pile in snow near Foxboro, MA;<)

My first question to the amazing repository of Foxboro info stored in all of
your heads is this:

Is anyone out there using an FBM230 and MODBUS RTU to communicate with Micro
Motion Coriolis Transmitters?

If so, can you tell me whether you use an "RIN" or "IIN" block and what is in
your "Pnt_no" configuration for the Mass Flow Rate register polling?

The Micro Motion manual I am looking at shows this for the Modbus address for
the Mass Flow Rate:

0247 0248  RO   Mass flow rate

I am assuming that since there are two registers to read I probably need to
issue a command that swaps words or even bits, (based on previous fun I've
had),  but there is not enough info in the manual for me to know.  Since the
leading number for the MODBUS register type has been omitted from the Micro
Motion document it is also unclear if the data is being stored in MODBUS
standard 30001-39999 input registers, or the 40001-49999 holding registers.  I
have put both 30247, and 40247 in the "Pnt_no" configuration with no success.
Each time I try to issue a read request via either an RIN or IIN block, my
"LPGFLW" MODBUS interface immediately indicates "Device Failed" in System
Manager and I get a "W62 - UNRESOLVED CONNECTION" message on the RIN block
detail display and everything turns CYAN.  Even when I remove the read request
from the IIN or RIN block by placing the block in SIMOPT and downloading which
clears the block from CYAN and causes no data requests to the interface the
"Device Failed"  status remains in System Manager until I disable and enable
the interface.  It looks healthy until I make another read request from the
interface.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Tom VandeWater
Control Conversions, Inc.