Re: [foxboro] Dns lookup

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:18:13 -0500

We put the I/A boxes and critical local hosts in the hosts file, then set
the "hosts" entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf to "files,dns" so that the hosts
file is tried first, then DNS.  We've been doing it with B's through G's
and it has worked well.

As an experiment, and to help shield me from constant unannounced changes
in DNS server addresses by our IT department (they assume every client
uses DHCP and so it is not a problem, right?), I set up a caching DNS
server on my firewall.  Now I only have to change the DNS server addresses
in one place.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Schouten, Frits JF" <Frits.Schouten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/07/2007 04:51 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro] Dns lookup

dear almighty wise people on this list,

Well, howzthat for an opening.

I've recently upgraded two hosts to AW51F (Blade rocks!) and saw that
DNS lookup is enabled in nsswitch.conf, which I think is great since I
use the second nic to connect to the corporate network and don't have to
bother setting up every Tom, Dick and Harry in the hosts file. I only
needed to set up the resolv.conf file.

What is the current view on DNS lookup on a Foxboro host?
With the today's reliable intranet network and servers, would it be okay
to enable DNS lookup on the older hosts?

Cheers,
Frits Schouten.
NZSteel.

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that
is confidential and intended only for use by the intended recipient. If
you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use
of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure
of the information therein. If you have received this message in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.