Re: [foxboro] DST

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:39:53 -0500

I think it is *I/A* version 8, not FV version 8, that will have "time done
right".  It will utilize the Unix time zone facility properly (it's, um,
about time...), so that the internal (GMT) system clock does not change
when the time zone changes (only the translation to local time is
affected).  You won't have to set the clock forward or back.  It is the
misuse of the Unix time facility in current I/A versions, which
inexplicably wasn't fixed during the transition from Venix to Solaris,
that causes the current problems with DST changes.
I also think it is Motif that does not update events, not X, as DM and
other X apps do not seem to have difficulties when the clock is set back.
Since I don't envision our getting I/A version 8.1 anytime real soon, we
cooked up a script to set the time back, restart all the FVs, and stop the
legacy historians for an hour to make this crap as painless as possible.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Lowell, Tim:" <Tim.C.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
10/26/2004 10:51 AM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  foxboro
              cc:
         Subject:       Re: [foxboro] DST

Oh, boy.  Have you opened up a can of worms, Sascha.

I love how they blame the X-server, and then say that FoxView v8 will =
have "time done right".  Hmm, if it's the X-server's fault, and FoxView =
v8 runs on an X-server the same as FoxView 99.2.1, how could you =
possibly fix it to make it "done right"?

Sorry, but I'm not exactly looking forward to coming in this Sunday, so =
cut me some slack.

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
ConocoPhillips Trainer Refinery