[foxboro] VNC Usage (WAS:Why do people use PCs to show DM/FV)

  • From: "Blunier, Mark" <Mark.Blunier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:06:37 -0500

>=20
> I'm curious to hear more about some peoples VNC setups.

Since I don't like to install non-Foxboro binaries on any of
the Foxboro hardware, I installed VNC on a Linux Box.

Note to Foxboro - while all the software that I use is open
source and free, I would have rather paid Foxboro for a
Foxboro tested and supported version that I could install on
the Foxboro hardware with the peace of mind knowing that it
was safe to install.  I'm not talking about fortunes, but rather
something along the lines that it cost me to set up my Linux
box and figure out the scripts and such.  Especially if I
new that I'd get the updated versions of Foxboro VNC when
the VNC sources get updates.

> What flavour of VNC do you use?

I use the tightvnc from Debian stable (Woody) or Debian testing.

>  How do you use it? =20

I have init call up a script (several times) that will start up
a VNC server, log into a WP and start the display manager.  I
do not run a Window manager, but have the DM set full size of the
VNC server.

The users can use Explorer or vncviewer.exe to display the screens.
I like it better than using Exceed.  Besides not having to set up
an X server, if people don't quit the DM when they are done using
it, the next person can reuse that display.  It's also nice for
walking someone through something over the phone by having us both
on the same VNC session and be able to watch someone else move the
cursor.

> How many clients etc?

As many as I have licenses for DM's

Mark