[foxboro] OSV Settings on AIN Blocks

  • From: "Jim Kahlden" <James.Kahlden@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:59:18 -0500

Just thought I would pass on what we found when setting the OSV on AIN =
blocks that use an SCI of 3 (4-20ma).  Don't use a number greater than 2.5 =
for OSV if you want the to get a BADIO alarm if a transmitter fails above =
20ma. We  changed the OSV on some of our blocks to 3 and some to 5 to stop =
BADIO alarms when transmitters drifted below 4 ma and this worked fine.  =
The problem came when we had a transmitter fail on the high side and we =
had an OSV of 3 and never got the alarm.  After doing some research we =
found out why.  The blocks raw count was at max count of 65535, and the =
transmitter was at 22ma.  When you do the math you will find that there =
are 3200 counts per milliamp and if you get a value of 22 ma you would =
expect a BADIO.  However since we had set the OSV to 3 this is 1536 counts =
and that added to 64000 is 65536 which is one more than the max count that =
we had so no BADIO alarm.  This was an indication only feedback of a valve =
which we did not have a process alarm assigned, only the BADIO.  We had =
assumed the valve was going to 100% open when actually it was a false =
indication because we did not get the BADIO alarm. =20

Hope this helps someone else from running into the same problem we did if =
you plan to change the default OSV settings of 2.

Jim Kahlden
System Reliability Analyst
Lower Colorado River Authority
Fayette Power Project