[foxboro] GDEV configuration

  • From: "Lowell, Timothy" <Timothy.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:33:07 -0500

List,
This one should be easy for the list. We are upgrading our Motor Control
Centers, and we have some fancy new MCC buckets that can talk over Ethernet to
an FDSI block. Someone decided it would be a good idea to allow the board
operator to turn the pumps and exchanger fin fan motors on and off from the
DCS, as well as being able to operate them locally as they always had done in
the past. Previously, if we needed a pump or fin fan motor started, the only
option was to send an operator out to do it. In most cases, we didn't even have
feedback status for the pump or fin fan motor, but now we do.

Since this project was run by an Electrical Engineer who can barely spell I/A,
he didn't put much consideration into the graphics or DCS configuration until
very late in the game, and he ended up farming the job out to Invensys at the
last minute. The Invensys engineer he hired was already on site helping us with
a cutover, and he had to throw something together in his "spare" time. He did a
very thorough and complete job with the information he was given and with the
time constraints he had, but unfortunately, he had to leave and go to another
job, and now what we have isn't quite right.

The Invensys Engineer used GDEV blocks on the graphic to start and stop the
field devices. What we are seeing is that the feedback from the status bits is
not configured correctly. The GDEV currently does not know what the status of
the device is. If you call up the Detail Display of one of the GDEV blocks, it
is in whatever position it was left at by the graphic, even if someone has
started or stopped the device locally with a field switch.

My question is, how do you properly configure a GDEV for ON/OFF status
feedback? There are all these options, and the block book is not particularly
helpful in deciphering which to use or not use. We basically want the GDEV
block to know what the status of its device is, so that when we click on the
device, it knows whether to prompt us to start it if it is off, or to stop it
if it is on. Right now, the GDEV is assuming that whatever the last command we
sent to it is the status of the device, which isn't necessarily true. The
device status comes back to the DCS via the first bit of an FDSI PAKIN block,
but I haven't had any luck figuring out which parameter on the GDEV to connect
it to. There is only a RUNNING bit, and no OFF bit; that is, you can only tell
the device is OFF if the RUNNING bit is zero.

If I could get Invensys to work on this, I would, but it's not easy traveling
to Alaska, and I think this should be an easy fix.

Thanks,

Tim Lowell
Tesoro Corporation | 54741 Tesoro Rd, Kenai, AK 99611 | 907-776-3526 (work) |
210-439-5914 (cell)