[foxboro] FW: VT100 Emulation -- UPDATE

  • From: "Jones, Charles R. \(Chuck\)" <Chuck.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:30:31 -0400

Thanks, Everyone
In case someone is looking up this file in the archives someday, I
wanted to post an update.  The problem turned out to be the null modem.
I purchased it the first day.  Since it was new, I did not check it out
well enough before looking for other problems.  I don't know that it was
bad, per se, since I was able to use it successfully to do other things.
But, an Asynchronous Modem Eliminator (isn't that just a marketing
phrase for "null modem"?) purchased from Black Box "eliminated" the
problem.  The Black Box model is a 25-pin device on both ends and ties
together several pins unused by the 9-pin port on the back of a laptop.
The first null modem was a generic device from the local electronics
store.  It was 25-pin on one end and 9-pin on the other, so I thought it
would be well suited to our needs.  I never did see a schematic for the
internals.  But, I suspect the first null modem ignored the pins on the
large end that were not connected to the small end.

For the future archive digger, the successful solution was:
- put the 25-pin Asynchronous Modem Eliminator (null modem) was attached
to the connector that used to connect to the Wyse terminal
- connect a 25-to-9 pin RS-232 adapter to the null modem
- connect to the laptop
- use any terminal emulation program that will emulate a VT100
- my connection configuration is:
  - 9600 baud
  - 8 bits
  - None (parity)
  - 1 stop bit
  - Xon\Xoff

What was the "one little trick" I was looking for?  I think it was using
a 25-pin to 25-pin null modem instead of a 25-pin to 9-pin null modem.
The web site for the one I used is:

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=381,1453,1490&mid=460

Thanks to all who helped.  I had a couple of people who called me on the
phone to help.  This list is great.

Chuck Jones

solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the
intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended
recipient, be
advised that you have received this email in error that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received
this email in error please notify the sender immediately. Please note that we
reserve
the right to monitor and read any emails sent and received by the Company in
accordance with and to the extent permitted by applicable legal rules.