[foxboro] Device Relationship Manager

  • From: <dave.caldwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:57:08 -0400

All Knowing List,

I work on a system where Foxwatch hasn't actively been used for years.
The folks here are a pretty independent bunch, and have been extremely
successful at troubleshooting system problems with the resources of the
CSC, the list, TAC, and their own initiative.

Recently, we were offered the Device Relationship Manager (DRM) as part
of our renewed maintenance agreement.

Question: what is DRM going to tell me that I can't already learn from
other tools like SYSMON, Station detail, or other scripts and tools?

Question: will I be able to do packet analysis with DRM? If I have high
traffic in a node will I be able to tell who it's coming from and what
it is? Will it resolve MAC addresses into letterbugs and indicate what
type of traffic I'm looking at?

Question: can DRM actually be used to solve some of the on going
problems on my system such as:=20
(1) Station islanding at V6.5.3  =20
(2) Failure to pass nodebus cable test in node with NCNIs  =20
(3) Intermittent FCM100 failure and recovery on V8.2 system=20
(4) Intermittent PIO bus errors on CP60 fieldbus=20
(5) Apparent network storm on V8.2 system

Question: is DRM mainly focused on CBLAN/nodebus systems? The reason I
ask is I know there is a product called NetSight from Enterasys that
allows monitoring of mesh network traffic and switches. Would our
maintenance dollars be better spent on this product?

Looking Forward to Hearing From You,
Dave