[foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:45:26 -0500

I did some searching on the list archives for this, but 8 or 9 pages into
it, didn't really find anything specific to my question.

I want to have a PC in the control room with the ability to launch
read-write DMs and AMs from adjacent WPs in the event of plant upsets,
startups, ops engineer wants to play, etc.  I've defined extra DMs/AMs in
the dmcfg file as class O, but they still come up with omsets disabled and
access class 100 protected.  This of course is contrary to what all the
docs I read said (dmcfg.man, Workstation Alarm Management, the X-terminal
user guides).  I can work around it in DM, however, by enabling omsets and
unprotecting value 100 in the initial environment file; I like this better
anyway because there is no reboot required if I ever have to change it.

However, the alarm manager is killing me.  It will not inherit the
unprotected 100 class from the DM (like the docs imply that it should). It
also will not read the initial environment file, even if I define that in
the ADMC (I tested this by including a pref -SOMEOTHERDM DMCMD "msglin
am_activated" -- it worked when I launched the DM, but not the AM).  I can
pref the unprotect 100 to the AM after it's up, and the buttons become
black on cue, but I can't automate this on AM startup, since it won't read
the environment file.  Other hacks I've considered, like a daemon script
to 'ps' periodically for the AM and pref it, or launch it with the DM,
wait a few, and then pref it, are just too ugly.

The only other thing that crossed my mind here is that I'm not launching
the DM or AM as root, but as a special account I created for this purpose
(though I made sure this account has read access to all the files in
question, if that's even necessary).  No mention of that in the docs, but
I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem,  I'll probably try that
later today, though I would not prefer to run that way.

Anyone else run across this (OK, stupid question :)?

Thanks,
Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation