[foxboro] AIM* OPC server problem - summary

  • From: "Fitzgerrell, Kevin" <Kevin_Fitzgerrell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:42:37 +0900

Hi all,

We've got our OPC server back on-line.

Initially we re-installed the OPC server on another workstation.  We got
connections established to our AW51s, but still couldn't get the
Matrikon OPC Explorer to connect to this new local AIMOPC either,
however our error message was slightly different:

        COM/OPC error 0x80070005 on CoCreateInstance()
        Error String: Access is denied.

        Additional: Could not connect to server 'AIM.OPC'

We followed Matrikon's "Establishing OPC Communication on Windows XP SP2
and Windows 2003 SP1" manual changing our COM and DCOM settings as per
the guide and our problem has gone away.

The Matrikon guidelines are similar to those in the "OPC Service Manual"
(sent to me by Ron Deen and also available on the Cassandra site), but
more extensive.

After getting the new OPC server running (and our APC back on-line) we
went back to the machine that failed initially and applied the COM/DCOM
settings.  Also, our MIS group ran through the box and corrected some
virus inflicted problems.  We probably changed more COM/DCOM settings
than really necessary as we've got a single box and no DCOM is involved
- at some point I may try to figure out exactly what changes were
necessary.

It looks like either an update this weekend tightened COM/DCOM security,
or a virus modified some of those settings.

Thanks to all who wrote with assistance!

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell