[fgmlug] Lists, what to post where?

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "fgmlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fgmlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 06:58:06 -0500 (EST)

Just to clarify:

We have 3 lists available for Freegeek Michiana.

We have 2 public lists:

The main list: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is a discussion list for core team members and interested parties
discussing issues related to Freegeek-Michiana, including software
applications, computer hardware, and organizational issues related to
GNU/Linux, LTSP, and computer recycling and education. This list is archived at
//www.freelists.org/archive/frgeek-michiana/

A discussion list for the Freegeek Michiana Linux Users Group (FGMLUG), a group
composed of Freebox recipients and others interested in the Linux operating
system. A list created for members of FGMLUG to make group announcements,
request assistance, and discuss Linux and other topics of interest to the
group. This list is archived at //www.freelists.org/archive/fgmlug/

And 1 non-public mailing list:

The development list: fgm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
A list to discuss training and development issues related to Freegeek Michiana,
as well as other sensitive issues that may arise from time to time. This list
is by invitation only and consists primarily of officers and board members of
Freegeek Michiana, Inc. The archive of this list is not available to the public.

In short there is quite a bit of overlap in these lists and the lists have many
members in common. It is quite possible that some posts on one list may be of
interest to members of one of the other lists. It has been my practice to avoid
cross-posting due to the often shared membership. Is this a good idea? Should
we attempt to limit topics to one list or another? What about topics that may
be of wider interest? LTSP deployment? System configuration? Projects? Should
these be cross-posted? Do we need to go to a forum structure rather than email?
Do we need a list specifically for warehouse issues?

Mike
List BOFH
** This list is PUBLICLY archived. **
be in the public domain. Assume that the FBI and your mother are closely
monitoring our group.

To visit the main website for FGMLUG go to http://www.fgmlug.org

To post to the list send email to fgmlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

at //www.freelists.org/list/fgmlug