[eyedrumartcomm] Re: give and take

  • From: COLLEEN M PAYTON <cpayton8864@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eyedrumartcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:27:43 -0500

Also, with regard to our conversation about doing a show somehow related to
the theme of artists who are emerging after years of not really working -
maybe because of oppressive relationships, but the real cause may be here:

"We teach girls shame - close your legs, cover yourself! We make them feel
as though by being born female, they're already guilty of something. And so
girls grow up to be women who cannot see they have desire. They grow up to
be women who silence themselves. They grow up to be women who cannot say
what they truly think. And they grow up - and this is the worst thing we do
to girls - they grow up to be women who turn pretense into an art form."
~Chimamanda Adichie