RE: Virus for user email

  • From: Andrea Coppini <AndreaCoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:39:54 +0200

Hi Robert,

Don't get me wrong.  I wasn't saying McAfee is better than Mail Essentials
in any way.  I have never used Mail Essentials so I can't compare..

I just listed the features that I like about McAfee.

Reviewing the original request, I guess both McAfee and GFI are out of
Marvin's budget.

Marvin, you might want to try one of the free/low-cost 'personal' virus
scanners and adapt it to your needs.  Some of these work by acting as a
'mail proxy' (ie. You set your mail client to use 127.0.0.1 as the mail
server, then set the REAL mail server within the program itself.).

To run this sort of virus scanner on the same machine as exchange:
1>  You must change the default SMTP port of the Windows/Exchange SMTP
Service

2>  You must set your virus scanner to forward all 'outgoing' mail to this
127.0.0.1 server (on the new port that you chose for Windows/Exchange SMTP
service).

This way, any incoming SMTP connections will be initiated with the Virus
Scanner, NOT with Exchange directly.  The virus scanner will then forward
them to the Exch Server.

You will have to do some extensive research into this, because most of these
virus-scanners only allow incoming connections from the Localhost (this is
to avoid relaying).  You will need one that has configurable inbound
filters.

Regards
Andrea