RE: Sent and Deleted Items Folders

  • From: "Hite, Ronald L" <rhite@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:26:07 -0600

Juan,

In regards to your second question about a long term strategy for
managing the mailboxes, Exch 5.5 has a solution.  The Mailbox Manager
add-in tool will do the trick.  This will purge messages from user's
mailboxes on a schedule (usually weekly) based upon specific criteria.

I'm currently on E2k, so I can't provide much specifics, but I will
provide as much as I can from memory.  You have the ability to
select/exclude specific users or entire servers.  You can specify
specific folders (in your case, you would select Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders).  You can specify size and/or age of messages to be
deleted or simply delete all messages in  the specified folders (age is
probably the best option, but it depends on your circumstances).

I do remember a suggestion to add 3 items to the "excluded classes".
These are items which will never be deleted by the tool.  Add
IPM.appointment, IPM.task and IPM.contact (I think these are correct).
This will  prevent old appointments, tasks and contacts from being
deleted.  Of course, if you want those cleared from sent items and
deleted folders, don't exclude them.

You can generate reports of the items deleted (number of messages, not
specific message info) and run the tool in audit mode to see what effect
different criteria will have.  I believe the install for this add-in is
on the SP CD, but I'm not sure.  If you have any SP documentation, it
will discuss the mailbox manager tool.

My strongest suggestion is to run the tool in "Audit" mode prior to
actually implementing this and prior to any changes you make.  It's easy
to correct a mistake in audit mode, but it's real hard to get the
messages back once deleted! :+)

I hope this helps.  If you have any questions about it, let me know and
I'll try to answer them.

Ron Hite
Network Administrator
Bell, Boyd & Lloyd