RE: SMTPSVC & NNTPSVC warning

  • From: "David N. Precht" <discussions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:51:24 -0400

This event and others with sources related to Exchange (i.e. SMTPSVC
W3SVC, etc..) are typical for Exchange 2000. This is caused by the
Virtual Drive M: not being mounted before the Virtual Servers (OWA, SMTP
and NNTP) are started with IIS. IIS is trying to locate the physical
path of these virtual directories which doesn't exist until after the
Exchange services start up. Once the services start, you can stop and
restart the web service and refresh the IIS Manager screen and the STOP
icons will disappear. I've confirmed this with Microsoft's Exchange team
and they advised this is normal functionality.

This error can be fixed by setting the W3SVC service to depend on the
MSExchangeIS service. See the links below.

 <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q259373>
Q259373 ,
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q193888>
Q193888