Re: POP3 connector to exchange

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:01:12 -0400

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:35:26 -0400 (EDT), A. M. Salim
<msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer who wants to do something "interesting".  His email is
> currently coming through his web host which provides him with POP3
> accounts @hisdomainname.com.  He wants us to install Exchange accounts for
> him on our Exchange 2003 server, but does not want to switch mailservers
> (MX records).  He wants to leave the existing email flowing just the way
> it is now.

There is no POP3 connector to retrieve mail from a POP3 server
built-into Exchange (the SBS 2003 version does, however).

Search for "Exchange pop3 connector" in your favourite search engine.
I know that GFI (www.gfi.com) has one included in one of their mail
essentials software package.

Personally, what your customer wants to do, is pretty messy. If your
customer would be using POP3 to download email from your Exchange
server, then what is the point of bringing Exchange into the picture
at all.

If your customer wants to utilize all of Exchange's features, then I
would recommended either their own in-house Exchange system, your
services, or an outsourced Exchange hosting setup (search for Exchange
hosting on the web).

...D