POP3 connector to exchange

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:35:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to do something "interesting".  His email is
currently coming through his web host which provides him with POP3
accounts @hisdomainname.com.  He wants us to install Exchange accounts for
him on our Exchange 2003 server, but does not want to switch mailservers
(MX records).  He wants to leave the existing email flowing just the way
it is now.

Instead, he wants his email to keep flowing to his current host, but wants
our Exchange server to connect and pull down the POP3 emails "on demand"
or "as needed".  He will then configure his Outlook with a new "Exchange"
account that will connect to our Exchange server, which will in turn pull
down his POP3 email from the live POP3 server when he connects to our
Exchange server.

Can Exchange be configured to do this, on a per-mailbox basis (there are
many other unrelated and independent virtual domains and customers and
POP3 boxes on our Exchange server and I want this to happen only for this
customer and not effect anyone else on the Exchange server).  Is that what
an Exchange connector is?  How would I do it?

best regards
Mike