[ExchangeList] OT: Active Directory

  • From: "Svein Arild Haugum" <svein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:57:35 +0200

This is not Exchange related, but I see there is a lot of Active
Directory skills here, so i give it shot.

I have a single domain, 2 domain controllers, all windows 2000. The
hardware for the domain controllers are quite old, and are now running
out of disk space.

I need to get to: 2 domain controllers on new hardware, and upgrade til
Windows 2003 as an option, not required.

What im planning is this: Buy 2 new Windows 2000 servers, install/move
services like DHCP, DNS, WINS, Active Directory, FSMO, GC etc. And
demote the old servers. And then upgrade to Windows 2003 afterwards to
not complicate the moving process.

I probably could install 2003 servers right away, and save me the
upgrade, but is it recommended to start moving FSMO across different
operation system levels?

Svein Arild