Re: New-post (exchange 2003)

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:02:16 -0500

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:24:54 -0500, oevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<oevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
>  Hello All;
>         I have an IBM 345 x series server with 2 gig ram and 6 U320 36
> gig 10K rpm drives.
> The drives will sit on an IBM 128 cache raid card with ADG.
> Now my question is have any of you had any problems with this type of
> server and exchange?

Note: If a server is certified or at least compatible with Windows
2000 or Windows Server 2003 and meets the minimum hardware
requirements for Exchange, chances are you won't have any problems
running Exchange on that server.

Now to answer your question about a specific IBM server, well, you are
in luck, as one of my primary Exchange servers runs on an IBM x345.
Thus far we have not had any problems primarily due to the following
reasons:

1) We setup the hardware as per IBM's instructions.
2) The environment in which the server resides is controlled,
specifically the temperature.  In other words, computers like cool and
dust-free environments, so we have done our best to accommodate these
needs.
3) We update our firmware and drivers when: 1) IBM recommends us to do
so 2) Our backups have been verified in the event of failure.
4) We do not mess around with the IBM hardware; we are warranty friendly.
5) We are lucky (like everyone else whose particular server XYZ has
not suffered a failure) that our hard drives have not failed; they do
not last forever; it's a matter of "when", not "if".  However, we
decrease our downtime by using RAID 5 arrays and the built-in IBM
ServerRAID software.
6) IBM, like most server manufacturers, tests their hardware, drivers,
and firmware, so all we can do is add layers of redundancy and
resiliency to components that are bound to fail eventually, such as
hard drivers.

> I had some problems with some hardware vendors in the past, which I
> won't name, but pretty much
> I had issues with firmware upgrades and crappy tech support.

Several things are promised in the IT industry: 1) Stuff fails 2)
Support can suck at times 3) if you don't voice your opinion to the
hardware vendors management, (your) sales rep., etc, then don't expect
any change.

Happy Exchanging,

...D