RE: MSN Mail

  • From: "Will" <wglasser@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:10:52 -0500

        Well I got my answer, and thought I would pass the info along. As I
suspected we were blacklisted at MSN, by their algorithms. My ISP was able
to get through to them and get some answers. Apparently the block is only
supposed to last for 24 hours. Then the block is supposed to be lifted.
According to Microsoft they have been finding that there is a new scam
targeting at College students that if they install "A" program and run it
they will be paid $50 dollars a month. This program is actually bursting out
spam from their pc through the colleges internet connection. Microsoft did
not supply any info as to what program, nor did they give up any info as to
when they were spammed by my IP.
        According to Microsoft this algorithm is only on, but they
are in the process of merging hotmail and Over the next month.
Hence email to hotmail accounts would go through but not mail to I
was told to look for high bursts of traffic to msn in order to try to find
the offending pc on my network. I should be able to do this by examining my
firewall logs.
        My question does any one know of such applications and possibly what
ports they may be using. If I can find that info then possibly I can either
block the ports or use nbar on my firewall to deny access to the
applications packets.

Will Glasser
Director Of Computer Operations
Southern Vermont College