[ExchangeList] Re: Lotus Notes to Exchange 2k3 Migration

  • From: "Jabber Wock" <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:48:34 -0400

Hi Ron,

Thanks, that NSF2PST tool sounds perfect.  I will try that and see how it goes.  And thanks for the offer for off line help, I may take you up on that :-)

best regards
JW

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Ron Herardian <rherardi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------There is another Lotus to Microsoft tool called NSF2PST that is a bulk Lotus Notes mail file converter designed for automated conversion.

NSF2PST, for example, allows entire Lotus Domino servers to be shut down and all the mail files to be converted to PST files.

The resulting PST files can be uploaded to Exchange, stored on a network share accessible by workstations, deployed to workstations, or left in place on workstations if converted locally.

NSF2PST also handles Lotus Notes mail Archive files.

Contact me directly if you want more information.

Ron

--

Global System Services Corporation (GSS)
650 Castro Street, Suite 120-268, Mountain View, CA 94041

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay (at Xerox PARC, 1971)

Jabber Wock wrote:
Thanks Kevin, that was very helpful.  As I understand it, this creates an Outlook PST file.  So with this tool, each user will be responsible for creating their own PST file and re-importing it into Outlook?
 Is there a tool that can create server side PST files (i.e. ExMerge compatible) from Lotus Notes NSF files, so that we do not have to either rely on each user to do it for themselves or have to visit each workstation (across multiple geographical locations)?
 For example I came across some promising and low cost shareware tools, does anyone have any experience with them?
 http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/File_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/Convert_NSF_to_PST.html
 or
 http://www.exportnotes.com/import-lotus-notes
  Other tools like this one are super expensive, about 10x the cost of the above:
 http://www.lotus-notes-export.com/XitNotes.asp
  TIA!
 JW

 On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Kevin Suares <suaresk@xxxxxx <mailto:suaresk@xxxxxx>> wrote:

   In this case, you would have to install the Outlook Connector for
   Lotus Notes (or DAMO) and create a local .PST file for each mail
   file in Domino. Once you do this, getting the mail file into
   Exchange is relatively easy.

   Note: on the Lotus side, change the mail template to one of the Web
   Access templates (assuming Notes v. 6.x or higher) then synchronize
   the Address Book and Journal (if used) from the client before
   creating the .PST file. This will populate contacts and journal
   entries in Exchange, making the transition much easier for the
   users. If this isn't possible, then march on anyway.

   This isn't a trivial move. Do it on a test system several times
   before running it in production, since the free tools supplied don't
   work flawlessly. There are multiple issues we ran into with file
   size and problems with the Lotus / Exchange Migration tool that made
   this task difficult.

   HTH.

   Kevin Suares

   Information Technology

   CSUS System Office

   Hartford, CT 06105

   Jabber Wock wrote:

   Hi,

   I need to migrate about 100 users from Lotus Notes to Exchange 2003
   (not 2007).  The Lotus server is in a remote network, not local
   LAN.  There is no possibility of connecting them on the same network
   or AD.  I am told that I will get the Lotus NSF files and that's
   it.  There is no encryption involved.

   Any suggestions on how to migrate these users to Exchange?  If you
   have done such a migration please let me know what you did.  All the
   articles I have found so far appear to assume that the two servers
   are in the same network and AD and that is not the case foir me.

   TIA!

   JW.

List Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/exchangelist/  MSExchange Newsletter: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/ MSExchange Blogs: http://blogs.msexchange.org/ -------------------------------------------------------