[ExchangeList] Locking Down Exchange 2003

  • From: "Jason Davis" <JDavis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:44:49 -0800

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------Hello all,

I've recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and suffered
through quite a scare due to thousands of NDR's filling my mail queue.
Some research led me to the following KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909005

This seemed to clear up my problem.  Also, I've done some research on
how to avoid being a mail relay.  Hopefully, all is good now.

However, I wanted to query the "experts" (you guys!) in what are the
'best practices' for locking down your Exchange 2003 server.  Do any of
you have some good KB Articles or links which might help me?

I've been informed to use "Recipient Filtering."  Do any of you have
additional advice in securing my email server?

Just to let you know, I'm running Exchange 2003 (SP2) on a Windows 2003
server (SP2) with GFI Mail Essentials for killing SPAM and Norton
Anti-Virus for Exchange V.5.  I am NOT running any file Anti-Virus
software.

Thanks for any input, in advance!

--Jason Davis
JDavis@xxxxxxxxxx