Re: Exchange configuration question

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:11:06 -0500

________________________________

From: Rick Boza [mailto:rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 1:04 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] Re: Exchange configuration question

http://www.MSExchange.org/
Some answers/questions inline

On 11/20/04 11:59 AM, "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://www.MSExchange.org/
I have Exchange 2003 setup on a Windows 2003 Standard server which is
connected to the DC like you connect a workstation. It is not connected
to AD in anyway. When I initially re-installed both the AD and EX on a
Standard server I first ran /forestprep, and /domainprep on the AD
before installing EX on the Standard server.
<Rick> When you forestprep and domain prep, AD knows about Exchange.  AD
is your Directory Service in E2Kx, so there is inherently a connection
between Exchange 2003 and AD.

<Andrew> Okay I understand.

With that all said an done, when I go to any users on the AD machine and
get properties I do not get the Exchange tabs, however I do them on the
Exchange server under AD Users and Computers. When the users try to
access their mail boxes can't because Exchange doesn't seem know who
they are.

<Rick> Well first off, you need the Exchange Admin tools installed on
your DC if you want to see those tabs.  From the E2K3 box, in ADUC, what
happens when you right-click on a user object that has been mailbox
enabled?  Do you see Exchange Tasks?  If so, what options do you see?

In the Exchange System Manager, when you work your way down to the
stores on the server, can you see mailboxes in the priv?  What happens
if you try to send email to a user that has a mailbox?  When the users
were created, where was that done from?

<Andrew> So installing the Exchange Admin tools onto the DC (which are
on Microsoft's site) is all I need to do?

I will have to check the second part of your question on Monday since I
forgot to enable RDP on the Exchange box before leaving the office.

This network is setup with 1 EX 2003 box, the client doesn't make
billions to afford both a front-end and back-end server.

<Rick> Front end and Back End server configuration solve different
problems than what you are describing - the first thing you need to
determine is if the users actually have been mailbox enabled; then
verify that you can get to them via Outlook.  Also try getting there via
OWA (use http://servername/exchange) and see if you can get to the OWA
login page.   What happens when you try to log in as a user with a
mailbox?

<Andrew> I try to steer away from using the local http://servername/ for
Exchange and setup a new Virtual HTTP server because in this case with
the limited money this client has I had no choice but to install
Officescan onto the same box, so I didn't want people on the outside
going to: http://servername/officescan ; however in the past when I have
looked at exchange mail boxes I could see each users had a box, however
when I would try to connect via Administrator to the exchange box via
OWA it would just keep asking me for username and password. I am going
to try it again after I install Exchange Admin tools and let you know
how it goes.

Thanks
Andrew