Exchange - Key Management Server (KMS) Questions

  • From: "Mark Budman" <mbudman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:50:43 -0400

I have some questions regarding KMS (Key Management Server).

I have installed Certificate Server on our Main DC.

If I understand everything correctly, is KMS installed on the Exchange
Server? (In our environment, I have an independent box as a DC (Win 2k
installed), and another box as a member server with Exchange Enterprise
and Win 2k Advanced server.)

   I am also considering moving to a Front End / Back End set up. How
would it this type of configuration affect the installation of KMS?

   If I select a few users for KMS, what happens when messages are sent
external to the organization? Will they have to be decrypted?

   If a user is enrolled, are his messages automatically encrypted or
can this be turned on and off?

Thanks for your time. It is much appreciated. As you can see, I am a
little confused about KMS.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Budman