E2k to E2003 migration question

  • From: "Jason Lehrhoff" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:26:15 -0700

I am about to do a migration introducing a brand new server. there is one
thing in MS white papers that is bothering me, about front end servers. It
says that 'all front end servers have to be upgraded first'. This is my
dilemna.
I am replacing my mail server with a new box, and then shifting that old
mail server to be my new web server (also a front end exchange box). I can
only upgrade my front end server after the back end one has been upgraded,
giving me the extra server to replace. The only thing I can think of is
uninstalling Exchange 2k from the front end box the day before the
upgrade... but this would give us no web mail for at least 1 whole
business day. Plus I would  be constricted to installing E2003 on that
same day ( a friday...and doing all the server replacements on the
weekend). I wanted to get exchange installed/tweaked a few days ahead of
time, so that I was sure that all public folders and such have replicated.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

-Jason