Disaster Recovery on part of the forest

  • From: "ONG Liang Bu (CSC)" <lbong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:35:17 +0800

First thing Happy New Year to all.

Setup: One forest, two sub-trees, each tree has different name space
(different domain domainA.edu and domainB.edu).  Both domains register
separately
and has different external DNS to internet.
Two trees connected thru  Active Directory Remote Bridgehead servers.  Both
sides runs Exchange 2000 and connected thru Routing Group Connector.
Both domains shared a class B network but each has different chunk of the
class B thru sub-netting.  All sub-netted networks are difined in
Active Directory Sites.

Question: I am the administrator of the domainB.edu only.  In the event of
Disaster Recovery can I just restore domainB and will both active directory
and Exchange 2000 work?  Assume domainA is altogether not in the picture in
the DR.  Has a meeting involved the whole project team, some members
believe acitve directory will work but Exchange 2000 will not.  Or should I
create a dummy domain for domainA for the DR to work?

If we can't find a solution we will call Microsoft for help on this matter.
Need suggestions on the best approach for the DR so as what to discuss
with Microsoft.

Thanks
Ong LB
Exchange Admin
NIE/NTU
Singapore

This communication (including any attachment) is meant only for the
recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential or legally privileged
information. If you are not an intended recipient, this communication has
been sent to you in error and you must delete all copies of this
communication from your computer system and notify the sender immediately by
reply email. Unauthorised use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
retention, copying or reliance on this communication is prohibited and may
attract civil and/or criminal penalties. Thank you.